Pin It button on image hover

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Restaurants and Kid's Meals

As a former waitress and cocktail server throughout four years of college, I remember what it was like to be in the restaurant industry. I always tip well, stack our dishes to make bussing easier, and take extra care to tidy up the table if Emma has been messy. Even though it's part of their job, more clean up for waitstaff means a longer turnover time which equals less tables and less tips.

And as a former server, I am also aware of certain wording that should be used when talking to customers. Case in point: Jason, Emma and I were out for dinner a few nights ago. The restaurant did not have a kid's menu printed, but the waiter spouted off our choices - the usual Mac and Cheese, chicken fingers, cheese pizza, etc. As we mulled the choices, he proceeded to ask what drink he could bring Emma while we were thinking. We asked for half lemonade/half water, which was brought out in a tiny kiddie cup. Jason and I always order water at restaurants, and that's what Emma has as well, unless her meal comes with a drink.

Fast forward to the end of our meal. The bill was brought out, with a $2.50 charge for the half cup of lemonade. One of my biggest annoyances is when servers word things during their table spiel to trick the customer into thinking they are already getting something, when in all actuality, additional charges are racking up.

My husband gave the server a heads up for future tables (he was in training). He simply said, "Oh, sorry. We charge for our kid's drinks." At which point Jason replies, "Well, I usually tip 20%, but most of that went towards a watered down lemonade." After running our credit card at the full amount - then hearing us complain -another server brought over an amended bill.

Now, I'm usually not one to make a big deal over things like this, but I'm frugal when it comes to saving money, even if it is $2.50.

What do you think? Do you have a restaurant experience that's similar, or does this kind of thing only happen to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP