Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, October 7, 2012

The things people say....

"Oh, I thought you were pregnant because you were working out all the time and not losing any weight!" (when I first announced my pregnancy at 12 weeks)

"Whoa, you're carrying different this time. Are you sure there's not two in there?"

"You look huge! Are you sure there's only one in there?"

"Wow, you look ready to pop." (I had 12 weeks left)

"Are you having another baby?" (said to me when Emmalyn was 5 months old and I was NOT pregnant)

"Would you like to join the Publix Baby Club? You'll get coupons all the way through your pregnancy." (I was not pregnant and had no child sitting in my cart, nor any child-like food)

-------------------------------------------------

I'm sure I'm not alone here. None of these comments were said to be cruel. People think seeing a pregnant woman gives them the opportunity to point out the obvious; however, pregnant women KNOW all of these things. They feel swollen and huge and are retaining water like a cactus. It's certainly no icing on the cake to hear people confirm all of these things.

It is however, all a matter of perspective. The same day I had someone tell me how huge I was looking, someone else couldn't believe how far along I was because I was "so small." So while the hormones have made me extra emotional these past few months, I keep reminding myself that people are just trying – (trying to somehow relate and make conversation mostly) and that there is no ill-will. I am growing a human after all.

So what do we like to hear?

"You look great!"

"How are you feeling?"

"Is there anything I can do to help before the baby comes?"

"Would you like a shoulder rub?"

"Why don't you sit down and put your feet up while I throw in a load of laundry?"

What was the worst and/or best thing said to you during your pregnancy?



No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP